One of the drawbacks of my limited budget is that it’s hard to satisfy my love for shopping when I barely have enough to cover expenses. Luckily, I also have a deep love for a good deal and I can satisfy both with the simple solution of coupons!
I’ve always had an old email that I was mostly junk, so I would sign up with that address to receive coupons. However, it’s an AOL address so it’s difficult to search and so old that I now have 20,000+ emails which made finding coupons within it an annoying task.
Instead, I decided to start fresh. I created a new Gmail account and I have been loving it! I’ve signed up for all of my favorite stores and can’t wait to get to using all of my great coupons.
The benefit of using Gmail is that it’s incredibly easy to keep things organized, by using the “filter” feature. Never used it before? Here’s how it works!
1. Start by logging into Gmail on your computer. Go to Settings, then along the top select the Filters tab.
2. At the bottom of the tab, choose Create a new filter.
3. I use the “Has the words” option, and enter the last part of the email address (everything after the @) to ensure that all emails from a particular store are captured. Then click “Create filter with this search” at the bottom of the drop down box.
4. Select “Apply the label” and categorize it how you choose. I put each store into its own category. Be sure to also check off “Also apply filter to x matching conversations” so that all emails are labeled, rather than just new ones.
5. Click “Create” and your filter is complete!
This is what you’ll end up with! Under All Mail, you’ll see a different folder for each category.
And when you open a particular one, all emails pertaining to that store will be there!
This takes a bit of time to set up at first, but it’s well worth it in the long run. All of your emails will still be in your inbox for browsing, but when you’re heading to a particular store, it takes just a few clicks to check out what deals there are.
Have any couponing tips of your own? I’d love to hear them!