One of the biggest adjustments to post-college life has been not having all my friends within 5 minutes of me everyday. Some of my closest friends now live thousands of miles away.
Since I can’t be there for a housewarming party to celebrate their new home, I like the idea of sending them a care package instead. While what you send depends on your relationship and their personality, here are some simple gift ideas that most young women would love for their apartment.
Check out my Polyvore set for details on each of these items.
1. Calendar/Planner – I never thought I would need an “agenda book” once I graduated college but in fact I use it more often now than I ever did before. It’s so helpful to see the calendar laid out in an old school, non-digital way. There are so many fun patterns and colors out there, so find one that fits your friend’s personality. I bought mine at The Paper Store and plan on getting my 2015 calendar from there as well.
2. Candles – everyone wants their home to smell nice so you can’t go wrong with a nice scented candles. The set in the picture is from Target but Yankee Candle is great if you’re looking for more variety.
3. Picture Frame – Send your friend a pretty framed picture of the two of you, or your group of friends so she has it when she feels lonely. I always love the frames at Marshall’s – they have fun styles for really good prices.
4. Throw Pillows are a great accent piece. If you know your friend’s color scheme, send her a matching pillow for her to snuggle up with when she’s missing her friends. Bed Bath & Beyond has really unique accent pillows, so check there. Especially if you have one of their 20% off coupons!
5. Vases are always good to have on hand and a pretty design can be a good decor piece for an apartment. IKEA has some interesting vase designs, all of which are pretty well-priced.
6. Something specific to your friendship will remind your friend that you are always there for her, despite the difference. Owls are a symbol of my sorority so sending my friend a cute owl statue is a reminder of our sisterhood. Etsy is a great resource for customized items that your friend will love.
Once you have your gifts picked out, wrap them up well, add a card and ship them off! It’ll be a great surprise for your friend, especially if she’s feeling a little homesick.